I wanted to do some growth test with mycelium so I inoculate 3 types of mycelium in 4 types of nutrient medium.
|.||Schyzophilum||Grey Oyster||Tempeh starter|
Make and sterilise the medium
Coffee grounds are sterilised by the process of making coffee (when the boiled water pass into the coffee) so I directly took some coffee ground after making me a coffee and I spread it in 3 sterile petri dishes. Then I let them cool down to room temperature.
I crushed dried dog kibble and I spread them in 3 glass petri dishes that I reserved.
I prepared a pot with:
- 250ml distilled water
- 0,75g of Malt extract
- 0,75g of Yeast extract
- 1,25g of Peptone
- 2,5g of Glucose
I mixed it and I reserved.
(The recipe come from the biofabforum )
I mixed 7g of agar powder with 250ml of distilled water in a pot and I reserved.
(The recipe was on the agar powder box)
Autoclaving with pressure cooker
- I first put pieces of autoclave tape in each petri dishes and pots and I put all of them in the pressure cooker.
- I filled 1/3 of the pressure cooker with water
- I closed the autoclave (make sure it's perfectly closed), lock it and turn on the heat to the maximum
- It takes normally 10-20 min for the red pressure valve goes up (it's like a little button located on the lid of the autoclave)
- Then I turned the heat to the middle point and wait 15-20 min more
- I Released the pressure by keeping the valve up with a tweezers and then I opened the If there is black lines on the autoclave tape, the sterilization process is done !
Then, I let everything cool down to room temperature before the inoculation.
See below my inoculation set up:
To create a sterilised area, I turn on the gaz burner and spread some ethanol around it. Ethanol evaporates and this creates a sterile area between the table and the fire inside where you can work.
I filled all the petri dishes with the different kind of medium.
I first inoculated mycelium schizophilum in the 4 different kind of nutrients.
I then inoculated mycelium grey oyster in the 4 different kind of nutrients.
I finally inoculated tempeh starter in the 4 different kind of nutrients.
And I let them incubate at 26°C, and wait and see.